{Off Shoots} Doub Hanshaw and John Mahaffey

by Nancy on March 20, 2012

I could not wait to add these photos of Doub Hanshaw and John Mahaffey’s home in Issue No. 6 to our ongoing collection of Off Shoots. This couple has no problem seeing the potential in all things, and turned an old 4,500-square-foot mechanic’s garage into a beautiful and romantic home. Amidst the vintage, organic, and natural elements, I loved seeing the energetic pops of bright red in their eclectic collection of textiles, objects, and artwork.

Since we couldn’t all be there in person for the shoot, it was neat to look through the unpublished images and observe the additional angles and perspectives of their home. Photographer Seth Smoot was also able to capture some lovely detail shots, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the picture of the little deer figurine sitting inside a cut-out in the wall. I ran to get the magazine to try to find which room it was taken in. It’s there—you just have to look hard!

Annie Vanacore March 20, 2012 at 8:40 am

love it!

Artsy Forager March 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm

What an incredible space! Thanks for sharing.

jen March 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm

thanks for sharing these extras…ahh…that space! too good!

Lore April 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I love the painting of the bunnies’ wedding! Does anyone know who is it by???

erin houdeshell May 31, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I am also trying to track down the painting name and artist (the bunny wedding/animal processional). Please advise as to the artist if you can get the scoop! thanks!

Louise M Manzo March 8, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I am Facebook friends with your cousin Cassandra Kelly and she told me you were in this months Philly magazine and she said you live near me, she sent me a pic of you in the magazine I found it and sent her the page back she was like yes that’s her I told her it says you live in Fishtown and I said I am not far at all, I live in Bella Vista 2 blocks off of south street, I have been in the fashion business for 20 years that was back in the late 70′s early 80′s worked in one of the best boutiques in that time period Kenneth and Cooper did some buying for them an managed the store because it was independently owned plus a few others Knit Wit,Paraphernalia which was a chain and managed Cache for 4 years which is to tacky for my taste but I made decent money with making all my goals every month, so glad you made Phila. Magazine and Cassandra also sent me a link to your apartment it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! What a small world.How long have you lived in Phila.? Would love to hear back from you