{The Dig} Snowflakes in Macro

by kate on December 16, 2011

Here we are; at the last weekend before Christmas! I’m heading to the east coast next week to spend the holidays with my family, and I’m desperately hoping for some snow while I’m there—for the beauty of it, of course, but also because I’d like to test my camera’s macro lens on a few fallen flakes of my own. That every snowflake is unique and special is something I’ve known since I was little—isn’t it a required lesson in kindergarten or something? But I don’t think the scientific and cosmic implications of that fact really sunk in for me until now, looking at these incredible images.

I feel thankful not only for the knowledge of the awesome beauty that exists in the world, but also for the technology that humans have created to observe our environment, and how accessible it has become. Looking at these images, I feel very lucky to be here, in the time that I am, seeing snowflakes in all their stunning detail. Happy holidays everyone! Have a great weekend.

{Snowflake images above by ChaoticMind75 and Xerxia, found via Flickr}

sarah.goodtogether December 16, 2011 at 11:26 am

unbelievable! imagine if we could see these beauties all the time :)

alison December 16, 2011 at 11:48 am

Wow, these are so incredibly beautiful. It’s so mind blowing that something so small and seemingly so insignificant can be so full of beauty and detail, isn’t it?

janis - pinecone camp December 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm

They truly are magical! I hope you get the snow you’re after! I could handle a little snow here in Vancouver too.

Inez December 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

Only a true artist could see the world in this way. Very nice photographs.

kate December 17, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Thank Janis! Yeah my fingers are crossed for a snowy time in NH and NYC. I’ve never been to Vancouver but I hear it’s an amazing city. Will have to plan a trip there soon!

kate December 17, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Alison, it is so mind blowing! I’ve been really into watching science programs and films lately, like How the Universe Works and Turtle: The Incredible Journey. They both have a lot of beautiful imagery like this; I highly recommend them. Thanks for your comment!

Elizabeth Mackey December 18, 2011 at 11:01 am

You know there is a God when you see these images. The master designer !!! The photos are mind blowing and a reminder that we are part of something very special on this planet.

Ashley December 23, 2011 at 11:12 am

wonderful images! i love the knitted garment in the background. totally sharing this one!

Bee Girl (AKA Melissa) December 26, 2011 at 9:08 am

Wow! Absolutely phenomenal!

las artes January 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm

wow that is so cool. i didn’t know they looked THAT cool close up! i’ve seen snowflakes in my hand and they just melt in a second, but they’re so COOL looking! how do they form like that? i’m sure it has to do with hydrogen-bonding and polarity, or something, but i don’t know exactly what. that’s amazing.

Ulina May 23, 2012 at 5:15 am

Stunningly beautiful!! The snowflakes and your pictures!!
Greetings from Austria,